Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dodgeball, Twizzlers, and Duct Tape Bras


Now you may be wondering how those three things can even fit together in one title. The only answer to that question is middle school youth group. Yup, the awesome, loud, and especially smelly students that come to The ROCK every Wednesday sure do fit the description. This year I get the amazing privilege to be a leader for the sixth grade girls.

I got to know some of these girls this summer during a program for our incoming 6th graders. I wasn't sure how well they would like me, but I guess they decided I would do as a leader. Every week of youth group they have been getting progressively more attached.

It started off with some simple texts, but it has grown to almost daily chats with my girls about anything and everything. Whenever they see me I am everything but attacked by them all. I love them, but having a really bad sunburn doesn't exactly help my case (insert silent sobs of pain here). On top of that I was almost dismembered tonight from being pulled so many different directions for game time. During small group they always have a lot to say, but it's not always on topic even though it can be enteraining to us leaders...

So all of this craziness really has shown me one major thing: a renewed love for middle schoolers. I never really understood before why Duey said that they were his favorite, but I am beginning to see why. My girls have so much energy, they just want to learn about things and ask so many questions, they aren't afraid of failure or other people, and they will do just about anything!

I can't wait to grow even closer to them and make so many stupid memories together. No matter what is in store for our group this year, one thing is for sure: I LOVE youth ministry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment