Friday, January 11, 2013

More than a Song.

I am sitting on a bus, which is on it's way to a speech competition in Omaha. I am listening to my regular playlist, just like always. Suddenly a Chris Tomlin song comes on. Nothing new, but for some reason today it sticks out even more than usual. The song is How Great is Our God.

Usually I just listen to this song, maybe sing along, and think nothing of it. But today is different. I am not sure why, but my whole outlook is different as I hear it today. I look out the window and just marvel at creation. How beautiful it is, how pure, how perfect. God made it all, and sometimes we take for granted how spectacular it really is.

As I sit and quietly reflect I am being torn down. God is really letting me have it. How lately I haven't been the true servant I should be, how I have been putting Him off. It hurts when I think of all the opportunities I have been given this week to make something amazing out of a simple situation, and how many times I have turned God down just because I didn't want to. How selfish I have been.

It's not always easy to do what God asks. Most of the time it is just plain hard.
It wasn't guaranteed to be easy, it was just guaranteed to be worth it. I am reminded of that today. So I will try harder to have reckless obedience towards God. We could all use more of that. But my point doesn't end there.

What would happen if songs were more than just songs to us? If when we heard them we actually took the meanings to heart and did more than just sing? Worship is not just singing. It it showing our adoration and thankfulness to God, honoring Him. So maybe the next time a song comes on the radio, you shouldn't sing, maybe you should just sit quietly and honestly reflect on it. The outcome might just surprise you.

"When the music fades, and all is stripped away, and I simply come. Longing just to bring something thats of worth, that will bless Your heart. I'll bring You more than a song for a song in itself, it's not what You have required. You search much deeper within through the way things appear, You're looking into my heart." -Matt Redman, Heart of Worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment