Monday, September 15, 2014

Oceans

So, it's been brought to my attention lately how big the Hillsong United song, Oceans, has gotten at Indianola Community Church. Which is super crazy to think about because I can still remember on March 31st, 2014 when the youth band first performed that song. It was just sort of a new idea, we were unsure of the reception this song would get. But crazily enough, the congregation fell in love with it. We've probably played it more than ten times in the different bands since that day. Now don't get me wrong, I love the song and it is so fun to sing, but after that much playing and practicing time it has started to get old.
Today as I was listening to a live version of the song, I was suddenly struck by the completely amazing message behind the song. All of the apathy I was feeling toward the song faded away, and I was reminded of why we chose this song in the first place. This song is so full of truth and encouragement, but I had to just look beyond the surface.



#1: God is calling YOU
The song starts out with God calling us. This statement is always super easy for me to overlook. I hear it all the time that God is calling me to do greater things, to be more with him. But why do I take it so lightly? Seriously though! Just the fact that God even wants me is so amazing. Him; a perfect, holy God, wanting me; a broken, messed up person. How can I overlook that? How can I possibly think so highly of myself to not catch the weight of that statement! He doesn't have to call after me, but he chooses to pursue me each and every single day, even after I consistently ignore and disobey him.
I think the other thing that really gets me about this point is what God is calling me to do. He's not telling me do what I choose or would feel comfortable doing. He's telling me to go out into the unknown. I mean, that is a little scary when you think about it. Not knowing what will happen or having control of the situation. But that is the beauty of it all. God knows what is going on, and he is in complete and total control of the situation. When you are willing to take the leap, to jump into the new God will meet you in that place and pick up where you left off. He will guide you through.


#2: God will be there with you
I think it is easy to think of God as far off and uninvolved in our lives, when it is actually the exact opposite. I mean, the love that God has for us is so powerful that he was willing to cross that gap and meet us where we are. When you do take that leap of faith, God isn't going to let you fall. He wants to walk hand in hand with you through everything. God's love and grace will cover you and they aren't going to ever stop. I love how the song puts it: you've never failed, and you won't stop now. It's so true. With everything that I go through in my life, one thing is constant: God. He's never left me, never stopped loving me, never gave up. So why would he now? There is nothing I can do that will make that happen, so I need to start acknowledging it. Start living like God is with you, instead of acting like he is out of reach.


#3: God longs to lead you
It's so easy for me to want to control every aspect of my life. I want to know what is going on, and I want to feel in charge of it all. But that isn't what God wants is it? He wants me to give up control and surrender it to him. God doesn't need you to do more for Him. He just wants more of us. God wants us to be fully dependent on him so that he can do more through us. So less of us actually means more of God. He wants to lead us to a place only he can. And I don't know about you, but I long to be taken there, where nothing matters except God. Easier said than done though. I don't really think there is an easy answer for this one. You have to be willing to let go of everything in order to grab hold of Him. Let God lead you to a place past your boundaries and into His love.



So, with all that said, I want to wrap this up with what I believe is the biggest point of the whole song. That through all of this, your faith will be made stronger in the presence of God. Let him be the strength when you aren't strong, your hope when you seem to have none. Because God uses that to do greater things in and through you. Let Him lead you to places of great faith, wherever he calls you to go. Because no matter what happens, you are still His, and he is yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment